INDEX OF QUESTIONS
- Do you deliver every image you shoot?
- Does your studio provide videography services?
- Do you do destination weddings?
- Have you shot at my venue before?
- Which photographer will be shooting my wedding?
- Do you provide partial day coverage?
- Do you shoot in JPEG, Small Raw, or Large Raw?
- Do you shoot Quinceaneras, Debutants, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, or Corporate Events?
- Does your studio do Headshots, Individual Portraits, Family Portraits, Newborn Shoots, or Product Photography?
- What if our ceremony is in a different language?
Style and Quality Questions
- What is your philosophy regarding photography?
- What is your photography style?
- My venue is very dark. How does your studio handle these situations and can I see samples?
- Is there a style or quality differences among the master photographers?
Blog Entry Questions
Post Production Questions
Wedding Day Questions
- How many hours do you suggest we set aside for wedding day photos?
- I have downtime between events on my wedding day. Will I be charged for that downtime?
- What happens if we go over the contracted amount of time?
- Why do we need to charge for additional coverage?
Engagement Session Questions
- When can we expect to see our photos from our engagement session?
- When should we do our engagement session?
- Can we schedule our engagement session for the weekend?
- How many images do you typically deliver from and engagement session? From a wedding?
- I’d like you to Photoshop our name and date into the save-the-dates, is that included in the package pricing?
- When and where can we view our engagement pictures?
Image Download Questions and Legal Questions
- What size can we print our photos up to with our full resolution images?
- What rights do I have to the digital prints?
- Do you provide the RAW files from my engagement session and wedding day?
- How many images do you deliver on the image download?
- Do you provide the digital negatives after the shoot?
- What if I lose my images?
Albums, Prints, Framing, Sign-In Books, and Slideshow Questions
- How long does it take to get my prints?
- How long does it take to get my album?
- How long does it take to get my sign-in book?
- Can I add more pages and images to my album?
- How do I get started on my wedding album?
- How do I get started on my engagement album?
- Do you guys provide framing services as well?
Business Insurance and Image Backup Questions
- Do you backup our images? How can we ensure that our images won’t be lost?
- Do you have Liability Insurance?
- We live out-of-town. Is it possible for our family/friends to meet with you instead?
- We’re very busy and won’t be able to meet. What are our other options?
- Do you travel to meet clients?
- How do I set up an appointment to meet you in person and see some of your work?
Payment and Tax Questions
- How do I reserve you for my date?
- What if we exceed our contracted time for our engagement shoot and/or wedding day coverage?
- Is there an additional fee if we pay via credit card?
- If we cancel the wedding will we receive our deposit back?
- If we change our wedding to a different date will we be able to use our deposit towards a future date?
- Are there travel fees associated with the Engagement Session and/or Wedding Day shoot(s)?
- Why do you charge travel fees?
- Do you offer any discounts on weekday weddings, Sunday weddings, or weddings during the offseason?
- If I pay for my package in cash will we be able to avoid paying sales tax or receive a discount?
You may choose to navigate the list of questions using the index above or you may read the full Q&A below. The Q&A is divided into sections based on the topic. If you have further questions, email our studio manager by clicking here
Q: Do you deliver every image you shoot?
A: No, we do not. We eliminate duplicate images, test shots, missed focused shots, shots with bad expressions and other images that may dilute the overall product delivery. For example, because we shoot with low apertures, sometimes we take a few extra shots to make sure we have the perfect focus. We don’t expect you to have the expertise or the time to zoom into each image to select the one with the sharpest focus, so we spend hours doing that on our end. In another example, candid laughs and emotional tears are some of the best images from the day. Unfortunately, they can also yield some unflattering facial expressions. We might snap a few extras of any of these moments to make sure we have a great shot with the ideal expression for the moment. With our expertise of processing millions of images each year, we may eliminate ones that we feel are duplicates and only deliver the best one.
Q: Does your studio provide videography services?
A: Yes. To see examples of our videography services, click here
Q: Have you shot at my venue before?
A: We have shot at hundreds of venues, so there is a good chance that we have. However, if we have not, we will get to the venue early on the day of and be sure to perform a thorough walk-through to scout out the best photography locations. We also do extensive online research prior to your big day!
Q: Do you do destination weddings? What additional fees are associated with destination weddings?
A: While Lin and Jirsa Wedding Photography is based out of Los Angeles and Orange County, we serve clients all around the world. Our destination wedding photography packages include the cost of travel and reasonable accommodations (check out our destination wedding FAQs here). Because of our frequent trips to the San Francisco Bay Area, special, lower rates may apply depending on the specific circumstances. Contact us by clicking here.
Q: Which photographer will be shooting my wedding?
A: Typically, the photographer you meet with will be the photographer for your engagement session and wedding. You may request to meet with a specific photographer; otherwise, we’ll make the decision based on personality, availability, language abilities, and your referral. For example, if Chris shot the wedding of your friend who referred you to us, he would likely be the one meeting with you; or if you needed a Cantonese speaker, Pye or Justin would likely meet with you. If you are wondering whether there are differences in style and quality between the photographers, click here.
Q: Do you provide partial day coverage?
A: We typically do not provide partial day coverage on weekends. On weekends, we only accept clients that require at least 8 hours of coverage or have a budget of $3,900.00 and above.
Q: Does your studio do headshots, individual portraits, family portraits, newborn shoots, commercial photography, or other types of photography?
A: Yes, we have experience in many fields of photography. Feel free to contact us.
Q: Do you shoot Quinceaneras, Debutants, Bar/Bat Mitzvahs, or Corporate Events?
A: Yes. These are all considered ‘event photography.’ We have chosen to focus and excel at wedding and event photography, and we would love to cover your celebration.
Q: What if our ceremony is in a different language?
A: Our photographers and cinematographers speak many different languages, including Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Korean, and others. However, we have also covered many weddings in which we do not speak the primary language of the ceremony. We approach these weddings with research, understanding the traditions and culture of the wedding. We also have talk-through meetings with our couples before the wedding to ensure we are aware of the major moments. Lastly, we always ensure that we stay alert, leaning on the instincts that we have developed for capturing the emotion and the stories at any given moment.
In our cinematography, if our editors do not understand the language spoken, we take a similar approach. First, we ensure that we have strong communication with you to understand the important moments from the day. We also find aspects in English to drive the story. This might be a heartfelt toast at the reception or personal messages that you give to each other, recorded during your wedding preparation.
So while different languages can present challenges, in the end, artistry, creativity, and storytelling are all universal concepts that our team will portray in your photography and cinematography.
STYLE AND QUALITY QUESTIONS
Q: What is your philosophy regarding photography?
A: Please click here for details on our wedding photography philosophy.
Q: What is your photography style?
A: The Lin and Jirsa Wedding Photography team is acclaimed for developing a unique style of wedding photography that is deeply rooted in wedding photojournalism while influenced by fine-art and fashion photography. We love using creative lighting, unique perspectives, angles, compositions and artistic post-production refining to bring out our clients personalities and beauty while telling their wedding story. We pride ourselves on not just being photographers, but rather artists creating unique and expressive imagery. To see examples of our quality and style, please visit our Portfolio as well as our Blog.
Q: Can I see a full event from start to finish?
A: Of course you may! We pride ourselves on the consistency of our work. We understand all photographers post their best shots from each wedding on their websites so it’s hard to determine how well he or she will perform on the wedding day. That is why we encourage all of our potential clients to view full events from all photographers they meet with to see how well the photographer performs throughout the day.
Q: My venue is very dark. How does your studio handle these situations and can I see samples?
A: We have shot in the darkest of dark chapels and reception halls so no need to worry! If the situation allows, we will set up additional lighting to ensure we get focused pictures. Some chapels do not allow for flash photography; and for that reason, we shoot on camera’s with superb low-light performance and lenses with low apertures (check out our Toolkit here).
Q: Is there a style or quality difference among the photographers?
A: No. We take every measure to ensure consistent style and quality among our photographers. We have developed the unique style you see in our work over the years. Each shoot is reviewed to ensure our quality and style are consistent. All mistakes, no matter how minor, are scrutinized by the team. We trust that the quality and style of photography you receive will be consistent. However, we do tailor our shooting style and techniques to our client requests. For example, some clients may prefer a light and airy look while others may prefer dramatic lighting and shadows.
BLOG ENTRY QUESTIONS
Q: How do I get my wedding published on other wedding blogs or magazines?
A: Click Here for a list of our favorite wedding blogs and their instructions for submission.
POST PRODUCTION QUESTIONS
Q: Do you touch up all the images in our image download?
A: Yes we do. Every image we deliver is post produced with our unique signature style of post-production. This involves color correction, exposure adjustment, selective black and white processing, clarity adjustments, tone-mapping, and other corrections. Many photographers will not post produce any images, or will only post produce “select” images from your wedding. This means that you may have pictures that are too dark, have strange skin tones or other common photography flaws.
Q: What do you mean by “touching up” the photos?
A: “Touching up” in our studio is the same as our signature (standard) post-production. See the question below for clarification.
Q: What is the difference between advanced and custom; and why are there additional costs for a custom retouch?
A: Advanced post-production includes touch-ups such as removal of blemishes, removal of bags under eyes, removal of fly-away hairs, etc. On the other hand, custom post production is anything that requires extensive, custom work in Photoshop such as removing entire objects from the scene, changing the size and shape of body parts or other objects in the scene, adding objects to a scene and other custom work. We charge hourly for the custom post-production as the time required ranges depending on the complexity of the project. Please contact our studio manager for a quote for custom post-production.
Q: Do you shoot in JPEG, Small Raw, or Large Raw?
A: We shoot most of our images in Small Raw with certain situations where we move to Large Raw. For our reasoning, please see this section on the Photography Misconceptions page of our website: Small Raw Vs. Large Raw
WEDDING DAY QUESTIONS
Q: How many hours do you suggest we set aside for wedding day photos?
A: Take a look at our Ideal Wedding Photography Timeline to see a detailed breakdown of how much time you would need to have set aside for your wedding photos.
Q: I have downtime between events on my wedding day. Will I be charged for that downtime?
A: For a variety of reasons, we have to charge for the time in between events. The fact is, we’re never truly resting during the day, whether we’re backing up images, setting up for the second venue, traveling to the second location, taking venue shots, or making up for lost photo time because of unforeseen wedding day delays. In many cases, we use that “downtime” to take you and your significant other out for a photo session or more family portraits.
Q: What happens if we go over the contracted amount of time?
A: We understand that not everything goes as planned during a wedding. We never pack up before the contracted time, and moreover, we’re not leaving on the dot when the contracted time is up. Instead, we will ask you at the end of your contracted time whether or not you would like to extend. If you would like us to stay, we will charge the rates specified in your contract rounded to the closest 30-minute increment.